To run in the winter you need to remember about the rule of three layers!This rule will always be useful for you during sports. When you dress in layers, then you have a great opportunity to regulate the temperature. For example, if you feel too hot and you feel that your body is starting to sweat, then simply remove one layer of clothing to even out your temperature. The top layer of clothing can be tied on the hips, hanged on a tree or left in the car. It is very important to remember about the order of the layers of clothing, if you still decide to run in the winter:
- The first layer – sports thermal underwear (available in specialized stores);
- The second layer – warm tights (protection for the legs), a warm sweatshirt (on the body);
- The third layer is a windbreaker that will not hamper movement.
What clothes should you have in your wardrobe to run in the winter?
- Warm tights or sweatpants;
- High-quality thermal underwear;
- Sweatshirt or warm vest;
- Jumper, T-shirt, turtleneck with long sleeves;
- Warm gloves for running in the winter;
- Warm socks.
Preparing for the winter run: instruction
1.Learn the weather forecastAlways watch the weather forecast before your workout. Since the weather changes every day and the landscape outside the window can not always tell what weather conditions are waiting for you. Keep in mind the change in temperature, the force of wind gusts and precipitation. Thanks to this knowledge, it will be easier for you to understand what clothes you should wear and how many layers of clothes should be on you as a whole. For example, if you decide to run in the winter during a snowfall and don’t put on waterproof equipment, there is a risk of hypothermia.
How to calculate the temperatureIn order to estimate the temperature, use a simple rule: add 5-10 degrees to the outside temperature and dress according to the temperature obtained. But you should also consider your height, weight and build. If it seems to you that you will freeze in the chosen set of clothes, then add heating elements. In addition to clothing, you should also consider the route, the distance of the winter run and your speed. If you have a lot of weight, then add to the temperature regime another 10 degrees. So you do not have time to sweat much, but do not freeze from the selected sweat. If you decide to have a winter run on a windy day, then you should remember one very important rule. Plan your route in such a way as to start a run upwind during the first half of the workout. When you decide to come back, then run so that the wind was blowing in your back.
Why do you need to follow this rule?The fact is that when you just go for a run your body starts to sweat. If you decide to run sweat against the wind, then you risk a cold! The cold winter air will quickly cool the sweat, which is why you will start to get very cold.
2. Plan your route to run in the winterBefore you go for a winter run you need to decide where you go to run. The routes that you have overcome in the summer can be absolutely impassable in winter. Temperature changes, ice, snow and blizzards can greatly complicate the passage of the usual paths. Frozen ground and icy sidewalk are not only uncomfortable running surfaces, but also potentially dangerous places. Walk in advance on the planned route and determine the places where there is less ice and loose snow, which will be hard to run in winter. Be careful with paths where the ground and pavement are not clearly visible, shadows and loose snow can hide the ice.
3. Choose comfortable shoes for winter runsUsually it is very comfortable to run on snow. But if the snow is loose and deep or very little of it, then you will have to change running a step. The ideal snow cover is snow, which sweaty adjoins to the ground and covers all icy sections of the road. To run in the winter was comfortable and efficient, you should choose special waterproof sneakers. This way it keeps your feet dry. Despite the choice of a snow-covered road, you can get to the icy section of the path. In order not to fall and you will not get hurt, you should pick up sneakers with good grip. Also remember about socks. They should warm their feet, but not cause excessive sweating.
4. Choose running clothes in winterTo choose the right clothes for winter running you need to be guided by the outdoor temperature:
- 5-10 ° C: sweater, turtleneck or long-sleeved t-shirt, tights, bandana or forehead bandage;
- 0-5 ° C: thermal underwear, you can wear a jumper with long sleeves instead of linen. Do not forget tights, gloves, hat or headband;
- -7-0 ° C: thermal underwear, long-sleeved T-shirt, sweatshirt or windbreaker, warm tights, gloves, hat or headband;
- -15 – -8 ° C: thermal underwear, long-sleeve T-shirt, warm tights, warm gloves, warm hat, windbreaker, sweatpants;
- -20 – -15 ° C: thermal underwear, long-sleeved T-shirt, windbreaker and sweatpants, warm gloves, warm hat, ski mask (it will protect your face from frost and wind). Also, if it is snowing outside, wear sports glasses to protect your eyes.