As a rule, man’s actions in everyday life are determined by his behavior strategy that is accustomed to him. But being in an unusual situation or having a necessity of making choice, he can make a completely unexpected step and implement one of the previously tested strategies.
People with a wide and diverse set of communicative strategies adapt in non-standard situations easier. They make considered and responsible decisions more often. If a person has only one or two strategies, he is more limited and more likely make bad decisions.
Transtheoretical model of changing yourself
In 1993, a behavior changing model was proposed. It describes transforming habitual unhealthy lifestyle to a health-promoting. And following that model creates new behavior strategy – both successful and damaging.
The model is presented not by a linear sequence of steps, but in the form of a spiral. It is normal for people to make changes gradually in several repeated phases.
This system is successfully used in order to change nutrition habits, including eating disorder, smoking and alcohol intake. And also helps to change lives and improve health with starting exercises.
There are 6 steps in a phase:
- Precontemplation (Not Ready). At this period of changing yourself people do not intend to take action. They do not suspect that there is a problem. Or does not seriously think about changes. It seems there is no reason to do something as most people have problems during their lives. For example, its normally that health is getting worse with age. And overweight is ok as everyone around a person have such kind of body. Here a man needs to realize and accept a problem.
- Contemplation (Getting Ready). A person begins to understand significance of the problem and see how it affects his life. That’s why there is started analysis possible benefits of possible change. Continue of the example is that a man realizes he doesn’t want to live this way, to suffer from disorders and illnesses, to have body he doesn’t like.
- Preparation (“ready”). Here a person already has enough information about his problem and is aware of the importance of this information. A person is looking for solution and consider possible options change. And a man who has decided to become more healthy and strong or lose weight is looking for a gym or ability to attend sports section. He reads about different types of diets and nutrition systems finding out what is appropriate for him.
- Action. This is the most important step which really change behavior and life. The solution is implemented in practice. A person feels more confident, because now he believes the changes are possible. Surrounding people also notice it and approval of other people is very significant. So, a man do workout and is keeping diet.
- Maintenance. At this step, the person tries to make the result permanent and prevent a relapse. And if there is support from nearest, the probability of successful finishing the step is higher. As for our example, a man has got some results and keep doing and in order to avoid relapse a man can chat with like-minded people and support each other or regularly shares his achievements with nearest people.
- Termination. If a person is not able to keep changes a relapse happens. A man returns to the problem behavior. This can have serious negative consequences: losing the assurance to implement decisions and control life. In this case a man breaks a diet and eat some junk food or lose motivation and don’t attend trainings. But here can be positive result! A man has managed through it and returns to the first step to make another turn in a “spiral of change”. But if relapse happens, it should be perceived an instructive experience, not a fail. It shows how difficult it is to achieve changes. It’s necessary to analyze why it has ended this way and avoid such mistake in future. After all, everybody has a right to make a mistake. Try to find the strength to return and save positive attitude to solving the problem.
The system is really effective. It describes changing nature and creating new habit strategies in a good way. Keep trying to be your best and you will be rewarded with great results!